Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pie # 18 Best Cherry Pie

Here is the recipe for today’s pie Best Cherry Pie

065

and the verdict for yesterday’s Perfect Apple Pie. This pie was also really easy to make.  I would give it a 4.5 for ease of preparation.  For taste I’m not sure what the star value would be but the person who rated this pie said that “between a one and a delicious this pie gets a yummy!”  It was your total traditional apple pie.  I would make this pie again.

Best Cherry Pie

I was so excited to see a cherry pie for today!  Cherry pie is my personal favorite, but I have never made one from canned cherries before.  I’m very excited to see how it turns out.

You’ll need a crust, plus enough extra crust to make a lattice on the top of the pie.  I just made a double recipe of my pie dough.

012

The recipe says that you’ll need a 20 oz can of tart cherries.  I couldn’t find a 20 oz can so I got three 14.5 oz cans instead.  I got two red tart cherries canned in water and one bing cherry canned in heavy syrup.  You reserve one cup of the liquid from the cherries. Don’t use the heavy syrup use the water. If you can only find cherries canned in syrup you’ll want to cut down on the sugar in this recipe or it will be really sweet.

053 054

On the stovetop in a pot combine your sugar, flour and salt then pour in your cherry liquid and bring it to a boil on high.  Once it starts boiling you turn down the burner and simmer it for 5 minutes stirring often.  Mine was thick a lot faster than 5 minutes so watch it close.

055 056

Once it’s thick you add butter, food coloring (optional), almond extract and the cherries.   I like the color contrast of the two different cherries that I used if you don’t like that make sure that you buy all the some kind.

057 058

Refrigerate your pie filling while you make the crust and then pour the filling into your crust that you made. 059

Then roll out the rest of your pie dough and use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into long strips.

 060 061

062

Then make your lattice the one that I do is one that I saw Martha Stewart do once.  I call it the faux lattice because it’s not a true lattice but it looks good and it’s really fast and easy.  You just take turns alternating where you lay the strips of crust.  One on the side then one on the top, one on the side then one on the top until you’ve covered the whole pie.

 063 064

When you’re finished you brush the top with egg white and let it bake at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes. You might need to use a pie shield for the edges of your crust after about 15 minutes. ENJOY!!

065

The Verdict

This pie gets a 4.5 stars for ease of preparation.  As for taste you’ll just have to wait because I tossed this little baby in the freezer for our Thanksgiving dinner next week. :)

No comments: