Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pie #15 Apple Pie w/ Buttermilk Crust

041

This next recipe comes from Amy of Social Studies Momma.  Amy says she lives in apple country and loves to make apples pies. This is a recipe that she has perfected, from the crust to the filling it’s all good.  Now a little bit about Amy. 

Hi there my name is Amy and I am a Soubrette. A Soubrette is any lively or pert young woman. I love my Lord, my husband, my Little Bit, my family, my Church family, and entering giveaways!

Make sure to stop by her blog and check out all her great ideas.  Now to the recipe.

You’ll need

Filling

  • 5-7 fresh apples
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 cup of flour
  • 1-3 TBS of Cinnamon (depending on your preference)
  • 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg
  • dash of salt
  • 2-3 TBS of butter

Crust

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2/3 cup of shortening
  • 3 TBS of butter
  • 1 tsp. of salt
  • 2 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup of buttermilk

Directions

First you need some really fresh apples. Peel core and thinly slice your apples.  Set aside. Preheat your oven to 425.  For the crust mix together two cups of all purpose flour and a teaspoon of salt. After that cut in 2/3 cup of shortening and three tablespoons of butter.  Next put in two teaspoons of vegetable oil and 1/3 cup of buttermilk (I make buttermilk with a teaspoon of white vinegar and whole milk). I mix in the last two ingredients with my hands.  This will make the top and bottom crust for our pie.  Place the bottom crust in your pie plate.  Next to your apples, add 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of flour, as much cinnamon as you enjoy, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, a dash of salt, and a couple of tablespoons of butter to your apples. Stir it all together and spoon it into your pie crust. Put the second half of the dough on top of your apples. Make some slits in the dough for venting.
Put some tin foil on just the edges of your pie crust but be sure to take it off 15 minutes before the pie is done. Bake your pie for 40-50 minutes.

Crust

008

Filling

007009011012014

018022

This pie just came out of the oven and it smells heavenly in my house!! Can’t wait to slice it up and see how it turned out.

ENJOY!!

No comments: