Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pie # 12 Peanut Butter Pie

048

This next pie comes from Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.  Kristen says, “Pies have long been one of my favorite desserts.  My mother baked them weekly when I was little.  Fruit pies were served not only for dessert but also for breakfasts.  Apple pie was my favorite, but no flavor was ever turned up.  When I grew up, I made sure to master pie baking right from the start.  I make up pie crust mix in bulk; enough for 12 pies at a time.  That way, all I need to do is add water to whip up a pie in a snap.
During the summer months, I often try to make pies that take a minimum of baking.  For this peanut butter pie, I was looking for something a little different than the common cream cheese or instant pudding based variety.  A simple microwaved custard provided a thick, creamy base for the filling.  Melted peanut butter chips and creamy peanut butter provide a great flavor.” Make sure and visit Kristen and let her know you saw her pie!

Peanut Butter Pie (based on a recipe from Southern Living)
You’ll Need

1 graham cracker crust
2/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 can evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1 tsp. vanilla
whipped cream
chopped peanuts, for garnish
 

Directions

Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and evaporated milk in a large microwave safe bowl.  Microwave it in 1 1/2 minute increments, stirring in between, until it boils and thickens.  Add about 1/8th cup of the hot mixture to the egg to prevent the egg from cooking prematurely.  Add the egg into the mixture in the microwave safe bowl and microwave it again for about 2 minutes.  Whisk until smooth.  Add the peanut butter morsels, peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.  Pour filling into the graham cracker crust.  Refrigerate for a few hours to completely cool.  Serve with whipped cream and chopped peanuts.

028030031032033034037046048

This pie was super fast and easy to make and I LOVED that you could make it in the microwave!  The chopped peanuts really add a nice crunch. I have never had a peanut butter pie before, so I was really excited to try it. ENJOY!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

The pie looks like it turned out perfectly.

Unknown said...

I just made this and it turned out perfectly! Instead of peanut butter chips I put chocolate chips :)