Monday, November 21, 2011

Pie #21 Strawberry Tart w/ Hazelnut Pastry

005

This next pie comes from Emma @ Emma Cooks and Crafts.  Emma just combined a couple of her blogs to form Emma Cooks and Crafts.  You should hop over there and support her new blog, because she is on talented lady! Take it away Emma!

Hi, I'm Emma. I have always liked food, but wasn't a good cook or baker until I learned the fundamentals at culinary school.  I studied both cooking and baking, but prefer baking the sweet stuff.  I started blogging to share my family with our friends and family that live far away.  Then I started blogging about crafts and cooking to share what I love to do in (my very little) spare time.  I like this tart because of the different crust. I like recipes that have just a slight change from the regular.   I am actually not a pie person, but this is on the border of almost a pie, so I thought I would submit it for Jaime's great bake-off and hope it made the cut.

Strawberry Tart with Spiced Hazelnut Pastry

Recipe adapted from the December 2010 edition of Gourmet Traveller.

Filling

2 cups strawberries, trimmed and chopped

1/3 cup superfine sugar

2 ½ TBS. corn flour

grated rind of 1 orange

seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste

Pastry

¾ cup + ½ tbs. of unsalted butter, at room temperature

4/5 cup of powdered sugar, sifted

grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange

3 egg yolks

2 cups plain flour

1 ¼ cups ground hazelnuts

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

a really good pinch of ground cloves

1 teaspoon of baking powder

Directions

1. Pastry: Beat butter, icing sugar and orange rind in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (4-5 minutes), add yolks and beat to combine. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (2 hours).

2. Roll two-thirds of hazelnut pastry to 1/8 inch-thick on a lightly floured piece of baking paper and line a 9 inch tart tin. Trim edges and refrigerate until firm (30 minutes). Roll out remaining dough on a lightly floured piece of baking paper to a rough 9 inch-long rectangle, place on an oven tray and refrigerate until firm (30 minutes).

3. Preheat oven to 350. Combine strawberries, sugar, corn flour, rinds and vanilla seeds in a bowl and fill pastry case.

4. Cut remaining pastry lengthways into ½ inch -thick strips and form a lattice pattern over strawberry mixture, trimming overhanging ends. Brush pastry with egg wash, bake until crisp and golden (30-35 minutes), cool in tin for 30 minutes then remove and cool to room temperature. Dust liberally with icing sugar before serving.

027028

It makes a beautiful crust!  Which I had a lot of leftover, so I just rolled out the leftover crust and cut it into squares, sprinkled with sugar, and baked in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, they were really great.

029030033034035037001

002

I don’t want to scare you away form this, but with the spices, orange, and nuts this pie smells and tastes a lot like fruit cake…only good!  I know my hubby will love this, because he LOVES fruit cake, it’s like his favorite holiday treat.  So if you have a spare moment or two you should give this little tart a try.

ENJOY!!

No comments: