Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pie #4 Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

 Here is the recipe for today’s pie Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

018

The verdict on yesterday’s Rich Chocolate Truffle Pie

My taster gave this pie a 4 stars for taste.  This pie delivers on its name it is very rich.  But the consistency was a little strange you want it to be a little bit more fluffy than it turns out to be but the flavor is still good.

It gets a 4.5 stars for ease of preparation it was easy to make but I don’t think I would make it again. OH p.s. we really liked the chocolate mint pie yummy!

Pie #4 Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

First thing I did was get my sweet potatoes ready I peeled and chopped three.  You only need a cup of smash sweet potatoes so 1 should be enough.  I wanted to have extra to use for other things so I chopped up three.

004 005

Add them to a pot of boiling water and cook until tender. Drain off the water and let them cool to room temperature.  You could also used canned sweet potatoes and save yourself a step but you would need to add less sugar to the recipe because canned sweet potatoes are usually packed in sugar water and therefore extra sweet. ( you should still drain the liquid off canned ones)

006

Next comes the first real crust we get to make.  I LOVE making pie crusts.  This is my all time favorite recipe and sometime when I get a helper I will add a pie crust tutorial for those of you who would like to see how it works.

My all time Favorite Pie Crust Recipe

1/3 + 1 TBS of shortening

1 Cup of flour

1/2 tsp of salt

Mix this together until it get small crumbs then add

2 TBS of cold water and form into a disc

I like to roll my pie crust out on a floured dish towel.  This makes for easy pie crust placement into the pie tin.   So after I roll the crust out to my desired size I invert my pie tin on the middle of my crust (sorry I forgot to take a picture) place one hand on the back of the pie tin and on hand underneath the pie crust and dish towel and then flip it over

  007008

So you have something like this

009

  Then you start crimping your edges.  I don’t know how to describe this but I will add the tutorial I promise.

010012

The filling is really easy you just add all of the ingredients together and mix it up really well.  I used my blender wand thingy then you pour all of it into your pie crust.

 013014

  *HINT* So after spilling a little bit of filling out of many of pies like this one onto my oven door I have figured out a little secret.  PLACE YOUR PIE SHELL IN THE OVEN AND THEN POUR YOUR FILLING INTO IT.  It works great every time just be careful when you push the pie all the way into the oven.015016

 

 

 

 

 

TThen add your nuts and bake for 45 ish minutes or until it’s set

017

Then you can mix your whipped topping this recipe calls for hazelnut liqueur so in my house will just be using cool whip :) ENJOY!

P.S. It smells heavenly…

The VERDICT

The critics gave it a random smattering of stars ranging from

4 – 5.5 for taste.  The general consensus was that it had too many nuts in the filling.  But the overall taste was good. I give this a

4 for ease of preparation just because it takes a little longer to make BUT I would make this again with a decrease in the amount of nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Delish! How long did you end up baking it for? Did I miss that? Thanks! -K