Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pie # 21 Cranberry Streusel Pie

Here is the recipe for today’s pie Cranberry Streusel Pie

014

and the verdict on yesterday’s Sour Cream Raisin Pie.  This pie gets a 3.75 stars for ease of preparation.  It was fun to try a different recipe but it’s hard to give it a taste verdict.  We ended up keeping this one because it’s so different I wasn’t sure who to give it to.  And truthfully most of it is still in the refrigerator as no one has really been brave enough to try it.  I would give the brown sugar meringue a 4.5 stars for taste we really liked it.  As for the filling it’s not like it’s bad, it’s not.  The problem is that we just don’t have anything to compare it too, since none of us have ever eaten this type of pie before. If I had to give it a star value I guess it would get a 3 stars for taste.  *FYI it’s a very rich pie.

Cranberry Streusel Pie

First you’ll need an unbaked pie shell

012

First you’ll need to chop a 12 oz. bag of cranberries.  This recipe calls for fresh cranberries but I only had frozen and they worked out just fine. 

001002

Add your dry ingredients to the cranberries and give it a mix.

004005

Once it’s nice and mix pour it into your unbaked pie shell.

007008

Then mix together your streusel topping.  Mix your nuts, with flour, brown sugar, and shortening. This recipe calls for walnuts but I used pecans (sorry). 

009011

When it’s nice and crumbly add it to the top of the pie and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.  

013

ENJOY!!

014

Variations-  I think this pie turned out good but I love to mix cranberries with other berries.  Try blueberries, strawberries or whatever berry that you like best.

The Verdict

This pie was super easy to make and I would give it a 5 Stars for ease of preparation. As for taste we only have our one bite mini pie to judge from but we all thought it tasted pretty great, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and I think you have a real winner.  We would give this pie a 4 Stars for taste.  I won’t have any other opinion to go by as this pie is destined for someone who won’t be able to give it a verdict.

No comments: