Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Easy Purse Cake

Well the purse cake turned out pretty great for our little princesses birthday yesterday.  She loved it!  Plus, it was super easy to make.  Here’s how

You’ll Need

  • 1 9X13 cake

  • 1 container of pink icing (or whatever color you want your purse to be)

  • assorted candy for decoration.  I used

  • mini M&M’s, licorice,  Good & Plenty, and pink sugar sprinkles.

072

Cutting the Cake

Make sure you cake is really chilled before cutting.  You might want to put it in the freezer for a little while.

Cut your 9 X 13 into 4 sections each about 1/2 inch shorter than the section next to it.  The largest section should be about 4 inches.

052

Stack the cake on their sides, to start forming the shape of the purse.  I know it doesn’t look so great now, but don’t worry.

053

I moved my cake to a cutting board at this point and cut the sides at an angle the top of the purse smaller than the bottom of the purse. I didn’t have to cut much off.

I054055

Then I cut down the top of the cake so it would have a nice gradual slope.  Like so

057

If you want you can stuff the cracks with extra cake.

056

Stick the sections together with your favorite jam. Placing it on your cake board.  After it was all stuck together with jam I placed it back in the freezer for a good 20 minutes before I attempted to ice it.

058

Once it’s out of the freezer I did a light crumb coat with vanilla icing and stuck it back in the freezer for about 5 min.

059

Then I iced it with the pink frosting.  Since my daughter picked a strawberry cake I just used strawberry icing so I didn’t have to tint mine.  It worked out great.   065

Also I didn’t worry about getting the icing super smooth, because I covered the whole thing in pink sugar sprinkles.  Continue to decorate with whatever candy you would like.

082072076081

This is a great cake for little helpers to help decorate. ENJOY!

6 comments:

Jenette said...

Now I can't decide if I want a crayon cake or a purse cake for my birthday. The dog cake is out...I am afraid of dogs. :)

~Niki~ said...

hey that turned out cute! great job!

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

This is soooo cute! It would be great if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared some of your recipes.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! This is fantastic!!! Great job!

Elsa said...

This is adorable!! I want this as my birthday cake actually. hehe

Miz Helen said...

This little purse is absolutely adorable, with all that yummy pink frosting! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon! Hope you are having a great week end.
Miz Helen