Friday, August 12, 2011

Blueberry Pie Filling

We finally got a chance to go blueberry picking!  The blueberries are on  late this year, but as they say better late than never. My absolute favorite thing about where we live is all of the U-Pick berry places. It’s awesome!  I try and pick between 60 –70 lbs. of blueberries every summer and that will last us about a year. Mostly I freeze them, but I also make blueberry jam, syrup and pie filling.  Today I’m sharing the pie filling recipe because it’s a really great one and you can’t find canned pie filling recipes in most canning books.  Interested in other types of berry pie filling? Checkout  this post HERE.

109

This recipe comes from the Oregon State University Extension Service.

Blueberry Pie Filling

For 7 Quarts (I give the measurements for 1 quart at the end)

6 quarts of fresh blueberries

6 cups of sugar

2 1/4 cups of Clear Jel A (don’t substitute cornstarch, it really isn’t suitable for canning)

7 cups of cold water

1/2 cup of lemon juice

20 drops of blue food coloring (optional)

7 drops of red food coloring (optional)

Directions

Wash and drain blueberries.  Combine sugar and clear Jel A in a large pot.  Stir.  Add water and if desired, food coloring.  Cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.  Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Fold in berries, fill jars immediately with mixture, and process immediately,  30 minutes in a boiling water bath (sea level). 1001-3000 ft. 35 min and 3000-6000 ft. 40 min.

Wash and drain 6 quarts of blueberries.

051

Gather you canning supplies, if you’re canning 7 quarts you’re going to need a large pot and some upper body strength

052

Add your sugar, clear jel A and water and cook until really thick and begins to bubble.

053

Thickened filling.

094

Get out your big girl muscles and start gently folding in the blueberries. I know it looks a little weird, I was really concerned the first time I made this, don’t worry though it turns out beautifully.

095

  Fill your jars with the gelatinous mass and process.

098097

So after it comes out of the canner it’s magically turns into this beautiful pie filling.  It gorgeous coming out of the can too.  Love it!

109110

Hope you enjoy it!

Measurements for 1 quart of pie fillingThe directions remain the same.

3 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries

3/4 cup+ 2 TBS. of Sugar

1/4 cup + 1 TBS. of Clear Jel A

1 cup of cold water

3 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice

3 drops of blue food coloring (optional)

1 drop of red food coloring (optional)

7 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

The blueberries here have already come and gone so I might have to wait until next year. Pinned this so I won't forget! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

They are beautiful....and I too have pinned this for next year!

Amy said...

This looks delicious! I'm saving this to try, thank you!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh my - I think I've died and gone to blueberry pie heaven! I've never seen Clear Gel A.... will have to google it. Thanks for the great recipe.

:)
ButterYum

Leah said...

Jamie,can you use apples for this recipe ? Aunt Terry. My email leah1130@gmail.com Thankyou.

Leah said...

Jamie, can you use this recipe with apples? please let me know.Aunt Terry.my email- leah1130@gmail.com thanks.

Whit said...

I had the filling oozing out when I filled the jars to an inch within the top. I'm going to try filling jars only 2/3 full like I do for apple pie filling for expansion