Saturday, March 12, 2011

Burnt Lunch Sack Wreath / how to

For the next little while I’m going to be showing you some projects I have been working on to change the overall look of our living room.  We got new flooring a couple of weeks ago and I found an awesome piece of furniture on craigslist and it all just snowballed from there. First I’m going to post all of the different little projects and then I’ll show you the final result.  This first project isn’t a new idea, just one I loved the look of. 
092
BURNT LUNCH SACK WREATH
I LOVE how this wreath looks, but I also LOVE how much it cost me to make. Less than $2.00!  All you need is a wreath I got mine from the dollar store and some lunch sacks (brown or white would be cool too).  Plus hot glue and something it hang it by like ribbon. 
035
First I put a loop around the wreath so I would have something to hang it by.
036
Then I took a few lunch sacks folded them in half and cut out semicircles.  Like so
039040
it really doesn’t matter how good they look (obviously)
042
then I just formed them into little cones and hot glued them to the wreath.  I liked using this type of wreath because it was easy to put them into the little spaces. 
037
Just keep doing it over and over and over, until you really can’t stand it anymore are finished.
038
When I got to the top I placed the ribbon through the loop so I would have something to hang it by.
043
After I was done I like how it look but I felt like it needed something.  I was thinking maybe I should have dipped the ends in paint or something.  Then I realized I could get the same effect just by burning the ends of the paper.   At this point the wreath is completely finished, so I was kinda concerned about lighting the whole thing on fire, but in the end I think it was better to do it all at once. That way you’re not holding a tiny little paper and trying not to burn your fingers.  Though I would recommend not doing it in your house while the wreath is hanging on your pantry door.  NOT that I would ever do anything like that.  I just lit little sections on fire at a time and quickly blew them out.  It was pretty exciting.
068069070
I really liked how it looked but I still wanted a little something more for the overall look of the room, then I remembered I had gotten these black metal letters on clearance at Michaels for 30 cents and I’m VERY happy with the end result.
073
080090092

17 comments:

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Looks great!!! What a clever idea!!
Michelle
www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love love your burnt edges. What a great spin on the wreath. The S in the middle compliments so nicely!

Humble Homemaker said...

The burned edges are so effective! I think it turned out really great. Lovely wreath. :)
Humble Homemaking

scrapfancy said...

Wonderful idea and look forward to trying this myself. Thanks for sharing.

Melissa {AllSewnUp} said...

I'll have to remember this come fall. Would look great on my new plum colored door!

Unknown said...

So awesome! I just love this and am definitely bookmarking this page! Hope you can come check me out sometime!

Crazy Wonderful said...

Oooo... I love! I totally saved this picture in my To-Do folder :D

Found you on Remodelaholic!

Shelley
www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

Kymberly Foster Seabolt said...

I would have burned the house down.

You made it look fantastic!

Mad in Crafts said...

This is such an adorable wreath! I am sharing it on the Mad in Crafts facebook page today. Thanks for linking it up to the Mad Skills Tutorial Link Party!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Playing with fire are we? Actually it looks like fun to make and looks cute on your door.

Day before Michelle said...

CUTE! I remember when I was a kid My Aunt would always burn the edges of pictures..hmm, maybe I need to do some of those as a flashback craft!

Lyssa Beth said...

Who would have thought to use sack lunch bags?! This is awesome and I love the end result with the "s"!
Thanks for linking up at Thrifty THursdays!

Mary said...

Really cool!

Miss Charming said...

I really like the look of this. I saw your mirror frame first and think that a wreath with the white paper would look fantastic, too!

Aryon said...

So excited to try this!!! Thanks for sharing the idea!!!

Winelady Cooks said...

This came out great!. I know if I did this I definitely would burn myself or my workspace - or probably both. But I do love this project. Great creativity.

I'm a new follower, came from Full Plate Thursday.

Thanks for sharing,
Joanne
http://wineladycooks.blogspot.com

Everyday Art said...

Ha! The thought of your wreath leaping into flames cracked me up--I'm still smirking about it. :) I could see something like that happening to me--I once caught a washcloth on fire in the microwave. Don't ask....
ANYWAY, it's a lovely wreath and clever idea!