Monday, July 25, 2011

Little Doggy Cake

I made this cake for my daughters 2nd birthday.  It’s one of my all time favorites.

You’ll Need

1 9X13 rectangular cake

1 container of chocolate frosting

2 Jr. Mints

2 white Necco Wafers

Red licorice

Black licorice

Red Fruit Roll-Up or Fruit by the Foot.

M& M’s

036

Cutting the cake

Make sure your cake is really chilled before cutting.  You might want to place it in the freezer for a little while.

I made this cake before I started blogging and taking pictures of everything.  So hopefully you can see how it’s done.  The white rectangle represents the 9x13 finished cake.  First you cut the body with the legs plus the head (leaving out the nose) out of the cake.  Then with the leftover cake you form an ear, tail and nose. Round off the nose so it looks like a real nose and not like a rectangle.  (make sense??)

doggy-001

Decorating the cake

Once you have all of your pieces cut out you can start the assembly.  Place your ear, nose and tail on the cake.  Ice all of the cake with a light crumb coat and place it back in the freezer for a few minutes.  Once the crumb coat is firm remove from the freezer and continue icing until the cake is completely iced.  Use a fork in make lines in the icing representing the fur.  Add a white Necco Wafer for the eye with a Jr. Mint on top.  Add a Jr. Mint for the nose.  Shape a tongue out of a red fruit roll-up or fruit by the foot. Add red hots for collar and another white Necco Wafer for the dog tag.  I added my daughters initial on the dog tag with chocolate frosting. Use the red licorice for the leash and add M&M’s for decoration on the leash.  Use the black licorice for the eye lashes.  All finished!

037

I was really happy with how it turned out.  Today is actually her 3rd birthday and she wants a purse cake.  If it turns out I’ll share that with you too! Happy birthday sweetie pie!!!

5 comments:

Delaney said...

That is so cute & fun!

BluBabesCreate said...

My Animal lover daughter Anne-Louise would love this! Great job! Maybe I should make this because we just found our dog at the pound!

christini yogini said...

super-duper cute!!!!
I love this little doggie cake, and I bet it was totally delicious!
Happy birthday to your precious little birthday girl!!!

HoneySage said...

This is adorable! I think my neighbor would love it for a treat! I could frost it just like her dog. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Adorable cake for a fun birthday party!

I would love for you to share this on my mommy solution and resource meme.

http://www.crystalandcomp.com/2011/07/the-mommy-club-share-your-resources-and-solutions-2/