Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Scarf of my Own

I loved my girl’s scarfs so much that I have wanted to make one of my own and yesterday I did.  Again all I used was material and some elastic thread.047
I bought two different fabrics for this project because the, I LOVE BLACK side of me couldn’t pass by this beautiful charcoal gray fleece I found.  And then I got  pink (and black) because the little voice in my head (it’s my mothers voice) kept saying “Jaime! you wear too much black, you need some color in your life!”  The little voice won out and I’m very glad it did I love how my new scarf turned out!! (Now if I can only have the courage to wear it)
Both fabrics look way better in real life and the gray is much darker. We got a new camera for Christmas and I still haven’t figured it all out yet.
012015
I cut the fabric the the size I wanted then sewed two pieces together to get my desired length.  Then I serged all of the edges.  From there I sewed four lines of elastic thread down the middle of my scarf. 
018
Elastic thread is white (does anyone know if it comes in other colors?) So I serged another strip and sewed it down the middle to cover the elastic thread.
024
All Done!! 
047




 


 

20 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks very cool. I may just have to try this. Feel free to check me out if you want at Ninth Street Notions

Anonymous said...

Supa cute!!!

I love scarves! They make any outfit cutesy and stylish, huh?

Have a great weekend.

Lauren @ 31diy said...

That's darling! I've got to try this out now. I got a sewing machine (FINALLY) for Christmas and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

Lauren
http://31diy.blogspot.com

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Thanks so much for linking up! The scarf is awesome!

Karen said...

Love the scarf! Elastic thread also comes in black (Hancocks) I have it in several pastel colors also but got it in some sort of craft kit I bought years ago and don't remember where I got it :0(

Unknown said...

Super Cute! Thanks for linking up to Sew Fabulous Friday. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Five Seconds From Crazy said...

I just bought a similar scarf and thought I could make it for a fraction of what I paid. Thanks for the tutorial! I'm going to make a few!

Jen said...

How cute and simple! I would love it if you would come and link up to my Fantastic Friday link party at http://ironvioletdesigns.blogspot.com

Thanks

Unknown said...

this is way cute!! iam just learning to sew and this seems llike a prject i might need to try out! thanks for the tutorial!!

Elizabeth said...

So stinking cute! Love this.. I might just have to see if my mom will help me make one!

Sonia said...

Found your tutorial through Texas Monkey! Unfortunately the weather where I live is not ver cold! Cute tutorial though, might have to try it one day :D

You can get elastic in black and gold and probably other colours too, depending on where you buy it though I'm sure.

Crazy Mom of 6 said...

the thread also come in different colors at joanns, http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd48328 here is the link. Love the scarf. So just by sewing the four lines of thread it gathers it? Also how long are the lines of thread? Email me and let me know.Thanks Bethany
bgraff6@hotmail.com

Jaime S. said...

Thanks for all the info ladies!!

Sherri said...

I love this & I might just make one of this tonight, so thanks!!! My mom still tells me I wear too much black too!! Stopping by to say HI, on the Tuesday hop:)
mamasherri.blogspot.

Hello Jessica Lynn said...

Cute scarf!!

I am blog hopping today and decided to stop by your blog!!

I hope you will stop by and follow either or both of my blogs.

Jessicas Lil Corner is my family blog at http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com

So Stylilized is where I am currently offering FREE custom blog designs at http://sostylilized.blogspot.com

Have a very blessed rest of the week!! :0)

AmyH said...

Adorable! Thanks for auditioning for American Crafter:)

Anonymous said...

love the scart! hi my names linsay and i just started following your blog and was hoping youd do the same for me @ http://sevensourluckynumber.blogspot.com/

Marcie @ DWYH said...

LOVE this scarf! I'm so amazed at this project! Thanks for linking this up at 'Unwasted Homemaking'! :)

www.dontwasteyourhomemaking.com

Val said...

I love this...I so wish I could sew!!

Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

Very nice. I love this style of scarf, I'm getting ready to make my own actually.
New follower.

dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com