Monday, May 16, 2011

Lava(ish) Cake

I’ve made this recipe a few times and it’s super easy and it’s pretty good.  It’s not super sweet.

The Recipe - CAKE

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 TBS of cocoa powder

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. of salt

1/2 cup milk

2 TBS. oil

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 cup of chocolate chips

The Recipe – Lava

1/3 cup of sugar

3/4 cup of boiling water

2 TBS of cocoa powder

The Directions

Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.  Add milk, oil and vanilla.  Stir until smooth and add chocolate chips stir.  Spread in a 1 quart casserole dish or divide into 6 ramekins.

MAKE LAVA by mixing the sugar and the cocoa powder and adding the boiling water stirring to combine. Pour evenly over the batter. 

BAKE at 350 degrees for 30 minutes for full cake and for about 20-22 minutes for ramekins.

The Pictures of the Directions

the cake batter

008009

It’s not a lot of batter but it works.

010

Yes, you really pour the boiling water over the top. 

013014016017

The water magically goes to the bottom while cooking and forms a nice lava.

018019021

some people didn’t think it was chocolaty enough so I put more chocolate chips on the top of this one when it was hot and let them melt.

027

I usually just serve it in the ramekin, but so you could see the lave I turned this one out on a plate.

023026

The bigger cakes lava was more like pudding.

028

Enjoy!!

13 comments:

Erin said...

Holy smokes! This looks amazing!!!

keatseatsblog said...

This looks delicious!
-Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com

Anonymous said...

oh nooo, this is not good! Im so hungry right now, and just started "dieting" and all i want to do is shove my face into those scrumptious looking pictures! I will have to try this sometime...looks fantastically delicious!
-Amanda

Whit said...

Thank you so much for this. I pinned it so I can make it one day. Come and say hi

tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

I love how you can make this Dairy-Free by using Rice milk or soy milk and it's also egg-free and peanut-free! My son is allergic to milk, eggs, and peanuts...so he is going to love this! Thanks!

Lisa @ Organized Chaos said...

I love how this cake is egg-free and nut-free and can also be made dairy free if you use rice milk or soy milk. My son is allergic to milk, eggs, and p-nuts...so he is going to love this! :)

Unknown said...

MMMMMMmmmmm! This looks soo amazingly decadent! i think I just gained 10 lbs looking at your post! I am sooo going to have to make this for Mr. Pinkapotamus! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!... p.s. I am your newest follower!

Joi Montrief said...

I have been seeing this everywhere. I want to make it so bad! I would love it if you could stop by Heck Fridays tomorrow (Thursday) and post it on our first link party!

http://www.heckfridays.blogspot.com

Hope to see you soon!!!

Pri Calca said...

Sou do Brasil e adoro seu blog!
Isso ficou uma delícia se eu conseguir traduzir a receita certinho com certeza vou fazer! Beijo.

Karima said...

Hi from your newest google follower/s via crafty soiree, Karima from
www.karimascrafts.com
and
www.karimasblogs.blogspot.com

That looks so lovely!

Miz Helen said...

Oh my goodness, just look at that awesome cake. Could you please give me another piece...great recipe! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

Unknown said...

You have been featured at CraftOManiac, thanks so much. winks-jen

Jenn said...

Yum, I'm adding to my must make recipies now! Thanks for sharing!