Friday, October 22, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

 bsoup
It’s fall and fall to me means soup.  So I wanted to make a butternut squash soup but I really couldn’t find a recipe that looked good so I just threw this one together and I think it turned out wonderful.  I'm linkin it up here to SAMM.  It's a great way to get new ideas for dinner.

1 butternut squash peeled and cubed
2 potatoes peeled and cubed
2 carrots peeled and sliced
1 onion peeled and sliced
4 cups of vegetable stock
water, milk,  cream or more stock
2-3 TBS butter/ olive oil
garlic to taste
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese
Your favorite spice blend (sorry it’s not super specific but use what you like)

The directions get a little tricky.  I was in a hurry so I just boiled all my vegetables including the onion until soft and pureed it with my hand blender thingy.  And it turned out great.  BUT this is how I would have done it if I had more time.
Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter or olive oil until transparent.  Then add the squash, potatoes, carrots, onion and the vegetable stock.  When all the vegetables are soft puree it with my hand blender thingy.  Then add the water, milk, cream, stock (whatever) until it’s the consistency that you want.  Then add spices to taste.  I also added some parmesan cheese and part of a packet of a Knorr spice blend. * NOTE* I really thought that this soup was great how it was BUT if only my husband and I were eating it I would have liked to spice it up a bit maybe with some green chilies or jalapenos.  ALSO if you have a Costco that sells the artichoke jalapeno parmesan dip that would be really yummy mixed into this soup.  Happy eating!

No comments: