Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Almost Italian Easter Bread

036

Another recipe I found and tried from Pinterest.  I know it’s a little early for Easter, but hopefully I’ll be in a hospital on Easter, and I really wanted to make these for the kids. You can find the recipe right here.  I followed the recipe exactly, but the reason I wanted to show them to you is because I did do something a little different.  You are suppose to put real dyed eggs in the middle of the bread and bake them, but I didn’t want to do that, so the kids and I made fake eggs out of the dough and dyed them with egg wash that was mixed with some food coloring. It worked so well!

What I did first was to make a double batch of the dough.  Which I would actually recommend NOT DOING unless you are bringing these things somewhere.  I ended up with 18 HUGE Easter Breads.  They were seriously the size of my kids heads. If you have a small family just make one batch, I think we could get by with 1 1/2 batches. Just remember to leave a little dough behind to make the dough eggs that go in the middle.  Then I followed the directions for the Easter Breads.  This was a perfect project for the kids, they all LOVED making the bread into snakes and winding them together to make the finished bread. Then instead of letting the breads rise and adding a dyed Easter egg we took an egg and made the egg wash, and added food coloring to it, then we made little balls of dough that we rolled in the egg wash and then in sugar (sugar in the raw).  Then we put them in the middle of the bread and let them rise together.  After they were done rising we added the plain egg wash to the rest of the Easter Bread.

Eggwash for the fake (dough) Easter Eggs.

015016017018026

I also used a little icing on top, mostly to get the icing out of my refrigerator. 

036041

The kids loved eating them, as much as they loved making them.  It was a lot of fun.

ENJOY!!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Ha that is so cute! Haven't seen those on pinterest yet, but dough eggs sound better than real eggs to me.

Unknown said...

Thank you! I am sooo doing this next week for Ostara!

Stephanie said...

Very cool!